Landed Home 

Landed Home – Buying Guide

Safeguarding Of Landed Housing Area

From this set of Landed Property Housing Area Plan, you are able to find out the locations of these safeguarded estates, and the type of Landed Property housing that can be built in your estate. These estates are categorized by the predominant housing form as follows:

  • Good Class Bungalow area where bungalow development must have a minimum plot size of 1,400 sqm. Strata bungalows are also permitted.
  • Bungalow area where bungalow development must have a minimum plot size of 400 sqm. Strata bungalows are also permitted.
  • Semi-detached area where bungalows, strata bungalows, semi-detached and strata semi-detached houses are permitted.
  • Mixed Landed housing area where any form of landed housing such as bungalows, semi-detached houses and terrace type I (occupying a land area of 150 sqm) are permitted.
  • In addition, townhouses, strata bungalows and cluster housing with their own control guidelines are also permitted.
  • Terrace type II (occupying a land area of 80 sqm) is, however subject to evaluation as these houses with 1.0m front setback could affect the streetscape.

Building Height

Developments in these estates, including Good Class Bungalow Areas (GCBA) are generally allowed up to 2 storeys. In estates where there is no 2-storey restriction, new buildings of up to 3 storeys are permitted.

Modifications To Existing Buildings

Existing buildings may remain until they are rebuilt in the future. The proposal to rebuild the existing building is subject to evaluation based on the landed housing proposal for the area.
If you wish to renovate or modify your house, you must follow the guidelines on landed housing in your area. In addition, you must satisfy the prevailing planning controls on plot size, plot width and building setback requirements. For bungalows, the proposed extensions must also satisfy the site coverage requirements.

Landed Home Dimension

Road Buffer and Building Setback Requirement for Landed Home Housing 

Road CategoryRoad Buffer (min)Green Buffer (min)
Category 124m5m Green
Category 212m5m Green
Category 3/4/57.5m3m Green


Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Foreign Ownership

A foreign person who wishes to purchase a landed residential property is required to seek Government approval. A foreign person means any person who is not a –

  • Singapore citizen;
  • Singapore company;
  • Singapore limited liability partnership; or
  • Singapore society.

The ownership of such properties by foreigners is restricted to those who make adequate economic contribution to Singapore. The ownership restrictions are provided in the Residential Property Act

What types of property must a foreign person seek approval to purchase?

  • Vacant residential land;
  • Terrace house;
  • Semi-detached house;
  • Bungalow/detached house;
  • Strata landed house which is not within an approved condominium development under the Planning Act (eg. townhouse or cluster house);
  • Shophouse (for non-commercial use);
  •  Association premises;
  • Place of worship; and
  • Worker’s dormitory/service apartments/boarding house (not registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act).

 What types of Landed Property can a foreign person purchase without approval?

  • Condominium unit;
  • Flat unit;
  • Strata landed house in an approved condominium development;
  • A leasehold estate in a landed residential property for a term not exceeding 7 years, including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal;
  • Shophouse (for commercial use);
  • Industrial and commercial properties;
  • Hotel (registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and
  • Executive condominium unit, HDB flat and HDB shophouse.
error: Content is protected !!